Friday, December 7, 2012

christmas carols and the simple life

Happy Friday!
 Awhile back at an estate sale I bought this vintage Christmas carol booklet. I just fell in love with that adorable santa and that pretty holly font. There is something about 50's fonts and graphics that I adore!
It was published in 1953, and I am thinking these were maybe given out to customers at the Security-First National Banks? How neat would that have been!
 A few months ago I saw this tutorial from the Dutch Sisters on how to crochet pretty scallops around Christmas cards. I have been meaning to try it, so when getting all my Christmas decorations out, and some inspiration from my dear friend Gina who was going to make some with cards, I thought these sweet carols would be perfect. 
I intended to do a pretty garland with them, but have decided to make them as gifts for Christmas. I still need finish making a hanging loop for each them, and if I have any left over, I still might make a Christmas Carol garland. How lovely would that be!
 I copied the carols onto heavy card stock, and then followed the directions from the Dutch Sisters. If you would like to give a try, you can print this carol and just follow the tutorial. They are so pretty when finished, and would even look cute as ornaments, too! 
 A few months ago I was working on a couple of secret projects and I am so excited to share them with you today! In September, Tasha from A Little Sweetness came out with her adorable line of fabric called The Simple Life. She had sweetly emailed me asking if I would be interested in making a couple of items to be displayed at the fall quilt market using her new fabrics and embroidery patterns. It was definitely an easy, yes!! I was beyond thrilled and so honored to do it!! 
The first project I made was a mini quilt using her embroidery pattern called, "Laundry Day".  I did a little hand quilting and adorned it with soft pink crocheted scallops. I adore the redwork, and it was actually my first time doing a pattern all in red. I loved how it came out! 
The next project was a pretty apple pillow, like the one I made for fall from the Bustle and Sew e-magazine. Tasha's fabrics were the perfect match for those sweet apples!!
 I had such a fun time creating these two projects and it was so neat to see them being displayed at her beautiful booth, which you can see some photos here. Also, to see more of Tasha's sweet patterns and illustrations make sure you head over to her etsy shoppe and blog! Thank you Tasha for giving me this amazing opportunity! :)
Wishing you a most lovely and creative weekend!! 



58 comments:

  1. Your projects are adorable and show your talents off beautifully!! Love the crochet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your projects are so sweet. The pillow is amazing with the colors and patterns of the fabric. Great job!
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather! oh my gosh! my Mom had that that that same JINGLE BELLS SHEET MUSIC. yes, she did!

    (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather I have been working on my first scallop trim and I have to ask how you get yours so tight. Mine seem to flop and curl. Are you doing five crochets followed by two single and then another five or am I making mine with different measurements. Love all your goodness.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I can't wait to see your pretty scallops! I'll email you! ;) xo Heather

      Delete
  5. Laundry Day is sooo darling! And I love the pink trim you did around the edge.
    It's no wonder that Tasha asked you to make a few things! You do such beautiful work!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erica!! That means a lot! Happy weekend to you! ;) xo Heather

      Delete
  6. I vow to learn to crochet in 2013! I want to make Christmas cards with that cute edging like your carol cards although after reading Renee's comment (I read it but I didn't understand most of it!) I think I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me. Until then, I know I can always come here for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let me know! There is a great online crochet school that I learned from, and it did not take me long to learn. You will love it!! xo Heather

      Delete
  7. I agree with you, there is something magical about the font and images from the 50s. I am really falling for that whole time period. The little laundry girl is adorable!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I love them all! How cute would a little pinny look with in the Laundry Days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling apple pillow. I am purposing to make Christmas simpler this year. I need to talk to my kids about buying gifts for each other that we don't really need. I miss the simple life ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla!! I started doing homemade gifts last year, and it made Christmas so much more simple and special. Wishing a simple life for us both!! xo Heather

      Delete
  10. These pictures are just brimming with gorgeousness and sweetness. I really miss being 'cordially invited' to anything...it's such a friendly warm phrase and very polite. It doesn't remind me of any bank I know today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol!! I know, wouldn't that be nice if banks were still like that! ;) xo Heather

      Delete
  11. Your Santa is lovely :) I like the sound of a garland x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Firstly, that Santa is just how he should look, although no one has actually seen him, so we aren't really sure! Also, those little carol cards are just beautiful, every Carol service should have them! You've made some lovely things there Heather, have a lovely weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that little apple pillow is soooo adorable! And I love the idea of the carol cards too. Your posts are always so inspiring Heather :-)
    Have a blessed weekend
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gilly!! ;) Hope your weekend was lovely! xo Heather

      Delete
  14. Fabric looks lovely and the little girl hanging out the washing is so cute!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my. You are so talented. Your projects with the combination of red and blue are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vintage text gets me every time! That Jingle Bells page! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heather, a lovely post. I, too, like 50's graphics especially Christmas ones. You won the Shiny Brite giveaway from my blog. Could you email me your address? mjro2s@yahoo.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE the idea of crocheting around paper cards! So many great ideas, so little time....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! I'm adoring those Christmas Carols too! You did such a lovely job on those!! So pretty! You are so inspiring sweet friend! xox Have a wonderful weekend! xox Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly! Have a great evening! xo Heather

      Delete
  20. You Christmas cards are so cute. I love the crocheted scallop edges. You mini quilt is so cute along with your pillow. Hope you are having a great weekend.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your projects using the Simple Life fabrics are so adorable, Heather! I just love all your little decorative touches. I remember the scallop edged xmas cards from Dutch Sisters and really want to try that too! And how cheery is that wonderful Santa!!
    Have a wonderful week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the song book! And what a great idea for a gift and a garland!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello sweet Heather! I always look forward to your delightful, cheerful and vintage filled posts! The old Christmas Carol book is wonderful! I love the sweet Christmas cards you made with the crochet edging. You did a beautiful job! EEEP! I LOVE the embroidery you stitched and the darling fabrics! I love Tasha's fabrics and patterns! I am not one bit surprised she asked you to make these for her. You are so creative and talented! I am so proud of you and happy for you dearest! I love apple pillow too, so sweet! Your work is perfect and so inspiring! Have a beautiful Sunday and week! Lots of love, Paula xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Paula!! Wishing you a beautiful and blessed evening and week!! xo Heather

      Delete
  24. Hi Heather,
    What sweet finds, and how fun to have such darling fabric to work with.

    You always do such a beautiful job with your handiwork crafts.

    Hope you are enjoying this wonderful Christmas season.

    {{hugs}}
    K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kerin!! Sending you Christmas joy!! ;) xo Heather

      Delete
  25. you're amazing, have i ever told you that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you sweet Gina!!! Such a blessing you are to me! ;) xo Heather

      Delete
  26. Your banner is just glorious ! Who would have thought to crochet the edges of paper :) xo E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! Have a lovely day! xo Heather

      Delete
  27. Those pages withe crocheted edges are darling. I must give that a try. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your work is so beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are darling! I love her stuff! You did awesome! Can I have a little bit of your talent please! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an adorable site. Plan on pinning your site and loving it. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for leaving your comments! It truly makes my day. I will always do my very best to reply or answer any questions. If you are a no-reply blogger, you can leave your email so I can reply or answer your questions. Have a blessed day!